Sunday, October 27, 2013

The pup that changed my world

I knew she was mine the moment I saw her.

I went to pick up my dachshund from a friend's house, and when I walked inside, there she was - this tiny light brown thing chasing after a bigger, older male dog. Taking after her momma already. 

She was short and stumpy, her little legs scuffling along and floppy ears dangling beside her face. She looked at me inquisitively, and her dark brown eyes had a kind of sadness in them. This weenie dog that was left in a box on the side of the road was mine for only 5 minutes and I loved her so much already.

I named her Dahlinger, after my favorite drummer. Even though she came in a smaller package, I wanted her to have a strong name.

I bought her a cage too big for her size, a pillow meant for a larger dog and leash probably too long for her own good. I spoil the pup, and it shows. 

Dahlinger cries when she's in her cage or tied up outside, her high pitched whines nearly piercing my ear drum and falsetto-like howls almost on another sound spectrum. But she doesn't care if she's  outside or inside, she just wants to be with me. 

This weenie is a curious one, always looking over her barricades and trying to climb over things to get to the other side. 

She is totally me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment