Sunday, September 22, 2013

The curious lizard's encounter with The Boy Who Lived

As I sat in the emerald grass reading Harry Potter with my brother, I noticed movement in the corner of my eye. Mosquitoes have been terrorizing the outdoors since the rain swept in, so I assumed it was another blood sucker on the hunt.

I was in the middle of describing Harry and Dudley's encounter with a Dementor when I shifted positions to get the sinking sun beams out of my eyes. I glanced up to find a wiry, green lizard on the stone. 

It was positioned downward, with its head slightly cocked to the side and tail flicking in quick spurts every few seconds. It seemed the reptilian creature had been listening to me read aloud the tales of The Boy Who Lived. 

I stared at it for awhile. It stared back, stock-still as if waiting for me to continue. When I didn't, it made a quick motion from side to side, debating which direction to move onward, I assume. Then it scurried away into the grass, disappearing from view.

I stared at the place I last saw the slender being and a whiny, hum filled my ear. My arm shot up to shoo away the mosquito, and I looked back down to find my place and continue the adventures of the Order of the Phoenix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment